Home Company History

Our history

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The institutions, from which KOMAG Institute of Mining Technology originated, have been subjected to complicated organizational and restructuring changes. The origin of our Centre goes back to the Central Design Bureau in Swietochlowice and the Mining Mechanization Plant of the Central Institute of Natural Fuels in Katowice, established in 1945.

A development of the mining industry has caused that the Central Design Bureau was transformed into the Design Bureau of Mining Machines, which after some time took the name of the Central Bureau for Mining Machines’ Design, having its seat in Gliwice. The next step involved an establishment of the Experimental and Design Institute of the Mining Industry in 1957, which in the same year took the name of the Design and Mechanical Works of the Mining Industry (Zaklady Konstrukcyjno-Mechanizacyjne Przemyslu Weglowego – ZKMPW). An establishment of ZKMPW created a possibility for a development of the research and design basis for underground mining of coal. Scientific and research projects in the domain of coal cutting and loading processes, transportation of the run-of-mine, roof supports as well as tests of colliery electrification systems and the electric equipment of mining machines were developed. A development of ZKMPW included an establishment of the Mining Electronic Plant in Tychy, “Elektrometal” in Cieszyn and the Works of Cybernetic Mining Systems in Biskupice. The M-300 Experimental Mine and the “Jan” Automated Colliery were taken over. Then the Construction Works of Experimental Machines was created next to the M-300 Experimental Mine. The Training Centre for Machinery Operators became transformed into the Staff Improvement Centre. The Construction Plant of Experimental Machines, the M-300 Experimental Mine and the Staff Improvement Centre were separated at the beginning of 1975 and the Central Project and Design Bureau of Mining Machines – KOMAG in Gliwice, having the status of a research and development centre, was established then.

This Bureau was organizationally subjected to the POLMAG Association of Mining Machinery Producers, which associated all the Polish factories of mining machines and equipment. POLMAG enabled to establish close links between machinery designing processes and a production of machines and equipment. In fact KOMAG became the design, research and development basis for all the factories, incorporated in the POLMAG Association. On their premises KOMAG established its local branches (FAMUR, FAZOS, TAGOR, RYFAMA and GEORYT).

Then the ORTEM Design and Technological Centre for Mining Machines was incorporated in and the scope of KOMAG’s activity was broadened by the issues of manufacturing techniques of mining machines and equipment as well as by the issues of production organization and management. It was also decided to change the name for the Design and Technological Centre of Mining Machines and afterwards, when the following reorganization was introduced, for the KOMAG Mining Mechanization Centre. Since 1st January 2009 KOMAG acts as Institute of Mining Technology KOMAG.